Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Yesterday is gone..."- O Death Where is Your Sting Pt. 2



"Yesterday is gone.
Tomorrow has not yet come.
We have only today,
let us begin."

- Mother Teresa

"The past is history.The future mystery. Today is a gift" I have often shared this quote in the context of therapy groups to emphasize the important and value of BEING PRESENT TO THE MOMENT AND TO THE NOW. However in a time of grief this is difficult. Wanting to escape though, it's easier to enter the comforting cloud of escapism, reveling in daydreams, past memories, "what could have been", or even addictive activities (drinking, drugging, sexing, shopping) The challenge is to "remain where I'm at."

The question I want to propose today is, "How do I remain present and not escape or want to?" What I discovered in my journey is, that we remain present through the presence of LOVE in our life- the love of family, the love of friends. When my mother died, I learned this, that somehow, "an energy" is communicated that strengthened me and supported me as I went through the grieving process.

Also for me it was faith. I know that not everyone who reads shares my faith, I will share though, statements of faith that lead me to relief and strength:

"YEA, THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH, I WILL FEAR NO EVIL;

FOR YOU ARE WITH ME;

YOUR ROD AND YOUR STAFF, THEY COMFORT ME"

PSALM 23:4


"FOR WE KNOW THAT IF OUR EARTHLY HOUSE, THIS TENT, IS DESTROYED, WE HAVE A BUILDING FROM GOD, A HOUSE NOT MADE WITH HANDS, ETERNAL IN THE HEAVENS."

II CORINTHIANS 5:1

Also, as Bill Withers sang:

And as John sang once,

May words of wisdom and present friends give us all strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment